The Shark and Ray Touch Tank will be closed on Wednesday, September 27, for routine exhibit maintenance.
The New England Aquarium values diversity and inclusion in our community and institution. We respect and value our diverse visitors, staff, and volunteers and expect the same from our visitors and members. Any inappropriate language or behavior will not be tolerated, and those who violate this policy will be removed from Aquarium property with no refund and, if applicable, have membership privileges revoked.
The New England Aquarium’s General Policies and Code of Conduct were created to ensure a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment for our visitors, Aquarium team members, and animals on Aquarium property.
The following activities are prohibited on Aquarium property. If you should observe other persons engaging in any of these activities, please report it to an Aquarium team member or security officer.
- Unruly or unsafe behavior that endangers people or animals, disrupts other guests’ ability to enjoy their visit, or interferes with business operations will not be tolerated and can result in ejection without a refund and/or prosecution to the full extent of the law. Such behavior includes, but is not limited to, attempting to enter the building with prohibited items listed below; smoking; offensive or disorderly conduct; throwing any object; entering or attempting to enter pools or exhibits; failure to follow the instructions of Aquarium team members; acting in a way that might harm or endanger people or animals; and any other conduct that is deemed inappropriate in a public setting.
- Uncourteous behavior will not be tolerated and can result in ejection without a refund. We require that Aquarium visitors behave in a civil manner towards other visitors and Aquarium team members. We also require that visitors refrain from any violence-inciting, abusive, disorderly, disruptive, hostile, or threatening behavior towards other visitors and/or Aquarium team members. This policy applies to in-person, phone, and email interactions.
- Verbal and written comments, harassment, and abuse directed at other visitors or Aquarium team members based on race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, or other personal and social identities will result in immediate removal from the premises with no refund and/or the revoking of membership privileges.
Policies for Visitors
Shirts and shoes must be worn on Aquarium property at all times. Clothing with offensive or vulgar language is prohibited.
Bag size limitations
Any bag larger than 12” x 12” x 12” will not be permitted in the Aquarium main building and the Simons Theatre, with the exception of diaper bags and carriers for medical supplies. Bags, strollers, backpacks, and packages are subject to inspection.
No firearms and other weapons
Visitors are prohibited from bringing firearms or other weapons onto Aquarium property. Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms, knives, explosives, and other items that require a License to Carry (LTC) or Firearms Identification card (FID), in addition to any item that is deemed a potential hazard to staff or visitors.
A license to carry a weapon does not supersede this policy. Law enforcement personnel and certain preapproved visitors (e.g., armed bodyguards) are exempt from this policy.
The New England Aquarium reserves the right to search individuals on Aquarium property for the purpose of determining compliance with this policy. Anyone found to be in violation of this policy will be removed from our property immediately.
Distributing any literature or propaganda, soliciting for signatures, and/or selling of any goods and services is not allowed on Aquarium campuses unless authorized by the New England Aquarium.
Smoking is prohibited on Aquarium property. The Aquarium is a smoke-free environment. Tobacco products and e-cigarettes are also prohibited (see full list of prohibited items below).
The following items are not allowed on Aquarium property:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Food, drink, and gum (prohibited in exhibit areas)
- Clothing with offensive or vulgar language
- Illegal drugs
- Laser pens and pointers
- Noise-making devices (horns, whistles, etc.)
- Tobacco products and e-cigarettes
- Selfie sticks
- Any other items deemed to be dangerous or inappropriate
During your visit to the New England Aquarium, you may be filmed, videotaped, or photographed by or on behalf of the New England Aquarium. Your admission to the Aquarium serves as permission for use of your image by the New England Aquarium.