Learn exactly what it takes to run the New England Aquarium day to day.
From making sure the animals are healthy to inspecting the tanks and introducing new animals into the exhibits, Aquarium biologists work hard every day to make sure the Aquarium runs smoothly. (After all, the animals still need to eat on weekends and holidays!) Now it's your chance to get a peek at the life behind the glass.
Join an educator for a personalized behind-the-scenes tour of one of our many galleries. You'll learn what the animals eat, how their tanks are maintained, how sick animals are nursed back to health and other insider tidbits.
Our Behind-the-Scenes Tours
- Are for visitors ages 7 and up, and are especially interesting for adult visitors
- Last between 30 and 45 minutes
- Are offered for groups of up to 10 people, including chaperones
- Cost $15 per person ($13 for members) plus Aquarium admission
- Allow photography and encourage questions for the educators
- Are booked through Central Reservations (617-973-5206) at least two weeks in advance
- Begin promptly at the scheduled time; after 10 minutes, late arrivals can not be accommodated and no refund will be given
Tours are also available for school groups of grades 3 to 12.
To get even more out of your tour, download the Behind-the-Scenes Tour Scavenger Hunt (PDF).