As the water temperature starts to drop, many of the animals brought in by the Marine Animal Rescue Team and treated at the Animal Medical Center are cold-stunned sea turtles.


Acadia the loggerhead sea turtle

Acadia is our first cold-stunned sea turtle of the season. She is a 175-pound loggerhead who was trapped in a marsh in Wellfleet, MA. She was brought in to the Aquarium on Monday, October 12, 2009, and is being treated for anemia and other blood abnormalities. She also had barnacles removed from her carapace. Read all of the rescue team's updates about Acadia.



Bandelier the Kemp's ridley sea turtle

Bandelier was cold-stunned and stranded on Cape Cod. He was brought to the Aquarium on October 18, 2009. Bandelier weighs in at just 3 pounds, a striking difference from our fist cold-stunned turtle, Acadia. Bandelier was given fluids and antibiotics. The little turtle has deformed back flippers, but they don't seem to hamper swimming. Read all of the rescue team's updates about Bandelier.



Meet Past Patients

2008 season

Goose the green sea turtle

Goose arrived at the Aquarium on November 20, 2008. He stranded in Eastham and wasn't breathing when he arrived at the Aquarium. He was put on a ventilator and given drugs to stimulate his heart and breathing. Read more...


Iceman the Kemp's ridley sea turtle

Iceman also arrived at the Aquarium on November 20, 2008. He was cold-stunned and covered in algae. Read more...



Orion the Kemp's ridley sea turtle

Orion was brought in cold-stunned on December 5, 2008. He had pneumonia and had to undergo severalo procedures, including a lung biopsy. Read more...



Bubba the Kemp's ridley sea turtle

Bubba was brought in cold-stunned. During his recovery had had to undergo a bronchoscopy. Read more...



2007 season

Dory the Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle

Dory arrived at the New England Aquarium on December 1, 2007 cold-stunned, with a flipper scabbing and mobility issues. Read more...

Waldorf the Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle

Waldorf arrived on November 23, 2007 covered in algae and with all the classic symptoms of a cold-stunned sea turtle. Currently this turtle is eating very well. 

Wile E. Coyote the Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle

Wile E. came in on November 11, 2007 with a secondary injury to the left eye and both eyes swollen. Currently this turtle is doing very well swimming actively and eating great.

Crush the Green Sea Turtle

Crush came in on November 27, 2007 in general good health but with slight dehydration. This turtle is doing very well.

Tigger the Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle

Tigger cam in on November 24, 2007 with depressed respiratory function along with other classic signs of cold-stunning.

Meet Some of Our Favorite Rescue Patients from the Past

Stephanie the Hooded Seal

Named by the young girl who found her, Stephanie arrived at the Aquarium sick, dehydrated and approximately 150 pounds underweight. After eight months, Stephanie was healthy enough to be released. Stephanie was the first rehabilitated seal we fitted with a satellite tag.

Artie the Hooded Seal

Artie was near death when he arrived at the Aquarium on St. Patrick’s Day, 2004. It took nearly seven months of rehabilitation before he was healthy enough to be released.

Quiddick the Green Sea Turtle

Hypothermic, dehydrated and covered in algae, this sea turtle was in bad shape when it arrived at the Aquarium in November, 2004. After nearly a year of rehabilitation, Quiddick was fitted with a satellite tag and released from Martha’s Vineyard.

Quid the Harbor Seal

Orphaned at a young age, Quid would not have survived if he hadn’t been rescued by the Aquarium. After a few months, Quid was ready to survive on his own, and was released with a satellite tag attached to his back.

Cape Cod Dolphin Stranding

During the summer of 2006, seven white-sided dolphins stranded on a Cape Cod beach. All of the animals were successfully returned to the ocean, and three were fitted with satellite tags.

The 1999 Mass Sea Turtle Stranding

During most winters, we rescue and treat approximately a dozen cold-stunned sea turtles. But, the 1999 sea turtle stranding season was very different. In total, more than 275 sea turtles stranded on the beaches of Cape Cod between November 8, 1999 and January 10, 2000.

Green the Green Sea Turtle

When Green arrived at the New England Aquarium, she was in bad shape. In addition to typical infections and hypothermia, Green also had a severely fractured shell that was probably injured by a boat propeller.